The perfect gooey, fudgy, vegan, gluten free brownies full of wholesome ingredients, antioxidants, protein, and fiber! Say goodbye to unhealthy saturated fats and hello to brownies for breakfast!
How would you describe the perfect brownie?
For me, the perfect brownie is fudgy, gooey, soft, and chocolate-y.
The main ingredients in a brownie recipe that contribute to those great characteristics, unfortunately, are not-so-great for you butter and sugar.
My mission: create a brownie with healthy ingredients that still has the very distinct flavor and texture of a brownie.
These amazing brownies are lacking NONE of the fudgy gooey-ness. What they are lacking is the unhealthy saturated fats found in traditional brownies. Thanks to the dates, nuts, and protein powder, these amazing treats are full of antioxidants, healthy fats, protein, and fiber. You could actually eat these brownies for lunch!
When you start combining the wet and dry ingredients, it might seem like something is going wrong. It will look like there is not enough of the wet ingredients to coat all the dry ingredients. Keep stirring and folding everything and eventually all the ingredients will come together. You don’t want a “soupy” batter because that will make the texture more cake-like than fudgy, and for brownies we want that distinct fudginess!
If you make these brownies (and you won’t regret it if you do, promise!) be sure to tag me @HealthyHacksRD! I love to see your creations!
Yields 16 brownies
Vegan: Gluten Free; High Protein; Grain Free
35 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
47 minTotal Time
- 1/3 cup water
- ½ cup (75 grams/~10) pitted dates
- ½ cup (70 grams) almonds ; cashews ; or mix of both
- ¾ cup (60 grams) unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60 grams) granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) coconut flour
- 1/8 cup (15 grams) soy protein powder
- ¼ cup (20 grams) vanilla protein powder (whey or vegan alternative)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites (*or 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 4 Tbsp water)
- 1/8 cup milk of choice (i.e. almond, soy, cow’s, etc.)
- 1/8 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips (or dairy free chocolate chips ) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease or line with parchment paper an 8 X 8 square pan .
- Heat the water in a microwavable safe mug until warm, but not boiling. Add in the dates and allow them to soak. (*If choosing the vegan option: combine the flaxseed meal and water for the “egg” at this time.)
- Pour the nuts into a food processor or blender and chop until the nuts are a nut butter-like consistency (about 5 minutes). Every few minutes, scrape down the sides.
- Once soft, add the water and the dates to the nut mixture.
- Blend again until you get a smooth consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cocoa, sweetener, flours, protein powder, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine the nut butter/date mixture, egg whites (or flax “egg”), milk, yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. The mixture will appear to be very dry, but continue to stir and fold and all the ingredients will come together. (NOTE: if choosing the vegan option, you may need to add more liquid. Add 1 Tbsp of milk of choice at a time and stir until mixture comes together). Mixture will be thick – not runny.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. PRO-TIP: you can spray the back of a spoon or your hands with cooking spray to help spread out the batter, but do not press the batter down! You want it to fill the pan, but not be compacted into it.
- Bake for 11-13 min. (Vegan option around 11 min. with non-vegan option around 13 min.)
- Optional – melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the brownies.
- Allow brownies to cool in pan.
- Eat and be amazed by the deliciousness!
You might also like:
Healthy Almond Chocolate Layer Bars
Healthy Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies
13 Replies to “The BEST Ooey Gooey Vegan Gluten Free Brownies”