Summer may unofficially be over, but that doesn’t mean citrus-y summer flavors have to come to an end, too! Also, cookies never go out of season. So, why not enjoy some super healthy, super easy, strawberry orange cookies?
And technically, it is still officially summer. Here in North Carolina the weather is still at walk-outside-and-start-sweating-immediately degrees. So, if you’re like me and eagerly waiting for Fall mode to kick in, why don’t we wait together and make these chewy cookies in the mean time.
And, these strawberry orange cookies couldn’t be easier to make. They only take a handful (ok…maybe 2 handfuls) of ingredients and barely any time. The majority of your effort will be whisking the egg and other ingredients together until they’re frothy. But, if you have a handheld electric mixer, you could basically do that in your sleep. Thanks electricity!
But, really, we’re talking some uber healthy cookies here. Just take a look at the ingredient list! Yogurt, eggs, fruit…and oranges have always been one of my favorite fruits. They’re naturally sweet, so flavorful, and pretty much go good in anything. Cookies? Muffins? Juice? YES! Just no pulp in my juice. Who’s with me?! If you are, don’t worry, these cookie are 100% pulp free. And if you are a pulp fan…no cookies for you!
These are totally your cookies and experimenting is encouraged! Besides, these cookies are pretty darn hard to mess up, no matter what you put in them. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
Yields 12 cookies
Gluten Free; Soy Free; Low Sugar; Low Fat
20 minPrep Time
9 minCook Time
29 minTotal Time
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp oat flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp psyllium husk - optional
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (dairy or non-dairy. I used Greek yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/3 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 325 F and grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, almond flour, cornstarch, psyllium husk, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, and sweetener until the mixture becomes frothy. If using an electric hand mixer, it will take about 3 minutes.
- Add in the orange juice, orange zest (if using fresh orange zest, to get 1 Tbsp you'll need to zest 1 medium orange), and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir or whisk together until fully incorporated.
- Evenly spoon the cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheet to make 12 cookies. It will take about 3 Tbsp of dough. (The dough doesn't spread, so form the cookies into the shape you want them to be when they're done).
- Lightly press the chopped strawberries pieces on the top of the cookies.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until outer edges are firm but if the center is pressed it still is soft to the touch.
- Bite into the sensational citrus beauties!
You might also like: