Gluten free, low sugar, and good for you! These healthy peppermint cream whoopie pies are soft, chewy, and a bit cakey. Filled with high protein peppermint cream, this dessert will be a huge holiday hit!
Have you ever heard someone say, “That tastes like Christmas!”?
I love how seasons are associated with very distinct flavors.
This time of year there is a lot of gingerbread and peppermint going around. These flavors, and their scents, probably make you think of the holidays. That could be due to the fact that scent and memory are very closely linked, meaning a familiar smell can trigger and old memory, like of a holiday tradition you had as a child.
So, flavors and scents and memory go hand in hand (…in hand?). Do you know what else goes hand in hand? Peppermint and CHOCOLATE!
These chocolate whoopie pies are so decadent, soft, and chewy. There is just a bit of cake-y texture that pairs so well with the creamy, protein packed, peppermint cream filling. The whole thing almost melts in your mouth.
These are no bite-sized treats either. The cookies are 3” in diameter, so they will fill you up with healthy and nutritious ingredients without weighing you down with loads of sugar. They actually contain 1/3 of the calories, 1/3 of the carbs, and 1/8 of the sugar as a traditional whoopie pie!
There is no fancy equipment or difficult cooking techniques required to make these goodies, so whip some up for your next holiday party or cookie exchange and surprise your friends and family with the fact that these treats are actually nutritious! Then share your pictures with me on Instagram and Twitter!
Yields 11 cookie sandwiches
Gluten Free; Low Sugar; Egg Free; Nut Free; Lower Carb; Vegan - optional
45 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
57 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp water
- ½ cup brown rice protein powder
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup soy flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar (or omit the brown sugar and use ¼ cup granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- ¾ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup + 1/8 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt)
- 1/8 cup + 2 tsp powdered sugar of choice
- 1/8 cup + 2 tsp soy protein powder
- 1/4 tsp peppermint oil or 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie pans with parchment paper (if you only have one, you’ll need to cook the cookies in 2 batches).
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed meal and water to create the “flax egg” and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the protein powder, flours, cocoa powder, sugars, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- If needed, melt the coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, water, and extracts.
- Pour the coconut oil and wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Add in the flax egg.
- In a small bowl, add the lemon juice to the baking soda. While bubbling, add it to the other ingredients. Stir all together until fully incorporated. The mixture will be easy to spread, but not a runny consistency.
- Spoon the batter onto the parchment paper. Spread the batter into 3” diameter circles that are about ¼” thick.*NOTE: You can trace circles onto the parchment paper, flip the paper over (so the ink is on the bottom), and spread the batter out to the edges of the traced circle to easily get the correct sized cookie each time.
- Bake for 11-12 min. or until the cookies spring back when touched but a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow cookies to cool on tray.
- While cookies are baking, combine all the cream ingredients together. Place in the refrigerator.
- Once the cookies are cooled, spoon or pipe the cream onto the bottom side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top – bottom side down.
- Eat, enjoy, repeat!