Moist, dense, and flavorful, this carrot cake actually is the healthy dessert you always thought you were eating. Topped with a creamy, high protein frosting, your taste buds will thank you after having this incredible cake!
We’ve all probably come across an infographic showing us how something we’d generally consider as healthy, like a container of yogurt or a granola bar, actually has more sugar than a donut!
Well, I feel like carrot cake is in a similar boat. People might think of it as a healthier choice over other cakes because it has a vegetable in it after all, am I right!?
Vegetables aside, this vegan carrot cake actually IS healthy! It’s full of complex carbs, protein, omega-3s, and calcium, while also having a significantly lower amount of added sugar compared to a traditional carrot cake.
The only similarities between this healthy vegan carrot cake and a traditional cake are the taste! This cake tastes anything but “healthy”. The wholesome ingredients and spices give the carrot cake tons of flavor. Worried about a gross, dry cake? No worries! It is super moist and dense.
I opted to only add raisins to the carrot cake, but feel free to mix in anything you’d like, too. It would be delicious with walnuts, pecans, or even some pineapple chunks.
This nutrient-dense cake is amazing on its own, but once you top it with the cream cheese frosting your taste buds will scream “thank you!” It’s creamy and light, but without being loaded down with sugar. It will be hard, but hopefully some of the frosting will make it to your cake before you eat it all by the spoonful 😉
Yields 16 slices
Vegan; Lower Sugar; High Protein; Egg Free; Soy Free; Oil Free
45 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup protein powder , vanilla or unflavored (whey or vegan alternative)
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 cup granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup Vanilla Icelandic yogurt (like Siggi’s, although any type of dairy or non-dairy yogurt will work)
- ¼ cup honey (or agave)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ - ¾ cup raisins
- 3 oz cream cheese (regular, light, or non-dairy)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar of choice
- ½ cup yogurt, vanilla (I used Siggi’s, although any type of dairy or non-dairy yogurt will work)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (regular or light)
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp brown rice flour (or any sweeter tasting “flour” such as coconut or almond)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9” round cake pan.
- For the cake: In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water to create a “flax egg”. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, protein powder, coconut flour, sweetener, baking soda and powder, spices, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, applesauce, milk, vinegar, and flax egg.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated. The batter will be a thicker consistency (not runny).
- Fold in the carrots and raisins.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 24-26 min. or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
- For the frosting: in a large mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, yogurt, milk, vanilla paste, and lemon juice.
- Stir in the flour.
- Once cake is completely cooled, spread the frosting over the top of the cake using a rubber spatula.
- Slice and enjoy while your taste buds say “yummmm”.
Update: I originally made this recipe in 1 - 9" round pan, but you can also bake it in 2 - 6.5" round pans like in the pictures.
Some products I used for this recipe:
You might also like:
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will make a commision if you click through and make a purchase.
10 Replies to “Healthy Vegan Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting”