Can cookie dough be refreshing? You bet it can! These Healthy Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites are stored in the freezer so you can cool off from the Summer heat with your favorite soft and creamy treat! (That also doesn’t melt 😉 )
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through the link there is no additional cost to you, but I will make a small commission that allows me to keep bringing you delicious healthy dessert recipes!
Tell me something you don’t love about cookie dough….I’ll wait.
In the dessert world, it’s almost like the perfect food, right?!
It’s soft and creamy, sweet and flavorful, smooth and scrumptious. And now it’s cool and refreshing because these healthy chocolate chip cookie dough bites can be stored in the freezer!
If you’ve spent any time scrolling through Instagram, I’m sure you’ve seen 34948 pictures of smoothie bowls. They’re delicious and all…but I could go for some other ways to cool off in the Summer, too.
What you’ll need to make these Healthy Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites:
- One large bowl
- One deep microwavable safe bowl
- Mixing spoon
- A fork
- Almond flour
- Plant based protein powder
- Tapioca flour
- Natural almond butter
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate for melting
Mixing everything together is totally straight forward. Basically dump everything in a bowl, do a little mixing and stirring, and roll the dough into balls. Then pop them into the freezer to firm up a bit before dunking them in delicious melted chocolate. Mmm…chocolate.
After that, let the chocolate harden for a bit and you’re done! Can it get any easier??
The bites don’t totally freeze all the way through, so you can actually eat them straight out of the freezer without breaking your teeth. But, I think they taste best if you let them defrost a bit a room temp for about 5 minutes.
Though, they’re also dang good if you eat them at room temp.
Just store these morsels in an airtight container either in the freezer or at room temp and you’re good to go! These Healthy Frozen Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites will stay good in the freezer for a few months and at room temp for at least a week. If you don’t eat them all before then 😉 .
Kaylie | Healthy Hacks
Yields 25 bites
High Protein; Vegan; Gluten Free; Low FODMAP; No Bake; Easy; One Bowl
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup plant based protein powder (I used soy protein powder )
- 1/8 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-4 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate (for melting)
- 1 tsp oil of choice - optional
- Line a cookie sheet tray with freezer paper. (Freezer paper is best, but parchment paper will work, too.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, protein powder, tapioca flour, and salt.
- Add in the almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir until as much of the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet.
- Add water 1 Tbsp at a time, stirring after each addition, until your reach a cookie dough consistency.
- Pro tip: don’t add all the water at once, because too much water will can make the dough too sticky, and also a little icy once it’s frozen.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough in a ball and place on the prepared cookie sheet tray.
- Once you’ve roll all the dough into balls, place them in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until they are firm. They don’t have to be frozen all the way through.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your chocolate of choice (can be any form/type of chocolate - chips, bars, disc, etc.) in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in the oil (this step is optional, but it does make the process easier and the finished product smoother).
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate. Lift it out with the tines of a fork. Tap off the excess and then return the coated ball to the lined cookie tray.
- Once all the balls are coated, return the tray to the freezer for about 10 min. or until the chocolate is set.
- Store the cookie dough bites in an airtight container. You can enjoy these cookie dough balls straight from the freezer, allow them to defrost for about 5 min. for a softer bite, or even store them at room temp for a super soft and doughy treat!
You might also like: