There is something about a chocolate chip cookie that everyone can enjoy. They’re soft, chewy, sweet, delicious, and comforting. But, when you can put other lovely little goodies INSIDE a chocolate chip cookie bowl, that just takes it over the top!
I’m probably going to lose my American citizenship by saying this, but I don’t watch football or the Super Bowl. However, I am a huge fan of super edible bowls! Besides the obvs of being totally tasty, edible bowls are also practical. Why waste space for your super bowl party spread on a boring ol’ bowl with the only purpose of holding stuff when you can have a bowl that also functions as a dessert? Also, edible chocolate chip cookie bowls are time savers because you don’t have to clean it. Just eat it!
There are 2 important aspects in making this chocolate chip cookie bowl. The first one being that you need an oven safe bowl about 5″ wide and 3″ deep to bake it in. If a bowl can go in the oven, it will usually say so on the bottom. I found mine for $3.50 at Wal-Mart. (But, if you don’t have an oven safe bowl, you can always make mini version in a cupcake tin!)
The second thing is that you have to wait for the cookie bowl to cool completely when it comes out of the oven. Like, no ifs, ands, of buts. No “I’ll just take a wee little bite off the top while it’s cooling”. No poking at it to see how fluffy it is. I mean, I’m just assuming these are things you would do. I would never know from experience that all these things will make your cookie bowl fall apart… Waiting for the bowl to cool is the ultimate lesson in patience, which I am not very good at having.
So, after every ounce of self-control has been tasted and you’ve allowed the cookie bowl to cool properly, you get to fill the bowl! The options are literally endless. You could go with popcorn, trail mix, M&M’s, or any other candy. I’d just stick with something sweet. Filling it with spinach artichoke dip might be a little too odd of a flavor combo. But, hey, it’s your chocolate chip cookie bowl and you can fill it however you want to. The only “must” is that you eat it after it’s emptied! 😉
What are you going to fill your cookie bowl with??
Yields 1 cookie bowl
Gluten Free; Vegan; Low Fat; High Fiber; Low FODMAP
40 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
1 hr, 2 Total Time
- 1 1/8 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1/8 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 Tbsp agave (or other sticky sweetener)
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted - optional
- Line the inside of a 5" wide X 3" deep oven safe bowl with aluminum foil. DO NOT grease it.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond butter, agave, milk, and vanilla extract. If the almond butter is not a drippy consistency, microwave it for about 20-30 seconds before adding the rest of the ingredients to it.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. The dough should be slightly sticky, but not too wet.
- Taking about 1-2 Tbsp sized balls of dough at a time, press the dough into the bottom of the bowl until it's about 1/8" thick.
- Stir in the chocolate chips into the remaining amount of dough.
- Continue the process of pressing the dough out along the sides of the bowl until the inside is fully covered and the dough is about 1/8" thick.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Place the bowl on a cookie tray (for stability) and bake for 20-24 min. or until the dough is no longer puffy when you press it with your fingers and the rim is a dark golden brown.
- Allow the cookie bowl to cool completely in the bowl, then place it in the fridge (still in the bowl) for at least 4 hours.
- For extra stability, melt and additional 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and spread out over the inside of the bowl. Place it in the fridge for about 10 min. to harden. Then, remove the cookie bowl from the bowl and carefully remove the aluminum foil from the outside.
- Fill you edible cookie bowl with your favorite snacks and enjoy!
You might also like: