Deliciously creamy and sweet chocolate chip cookie dough got a healthy makeover! You’d never believe there is no butter or added refined sugars. Only wholesome, nutritious ingredients that make eating cookie dough not only guilt-free, but highly recommended.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you make a purchase through the link there is no additional cost to you, but I will make a small commision that allows me to keep bringing you delicious healthy dessert recipes!
There are some foods that I can be pretty picky about and will only eat it if they are prepared one, exact way. No exceptions!
That is not the case with chocolate chip cookies! I will eat it any way it will come to me.
And right now, it is coming to me in the form of cookie dough squares slathered in a chocolate ganache topping.
I honestly can never pass up the opportunity for cookie dough. So, I might as well give it a healthy makeover!
But, trust me, this doesn’t taste healthy. It tastes creamy, buttery, and sweet, but without any actual butter or added refined sugars!
Confession time: as a kid I would definitely sneak a spoon full of creamed butter and brown sugar when making cookies. And by kid, I mean college-aged adult.
Check out the quick and easy recipe below. I’ve also included some notes and substitutions, so if you want to make it vegan or soy free, I’ve got you covered!
Yields 8 squares
Vegan; Gluten Free; Refined Sugar Free; Low Carb; High Protein; No Bake
40 minPrep Time
40 minTotal Time
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup macadamia nut butter
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup soy protein powder (or brown rice protein powder ) vanilla or unflavored
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk*
- 1/8 cup milk of choice (i.e. cow's, almond, or more coconut)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (milk, dark, dairy-free, etc)
- Chocolate ganache from my Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Soak the dates. You can either soak them in hot water for about an hour or in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Line the bottom of a 9"X5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- If needed, make your nut butters and oat flour.
- Drain the dates, saving 1 Tbsp of the water. Place the dates in a food processor or blender with the water and vanilla extract. Blend until you get a smooth, creamy paste.
- Add the butters, flour, protein powder, and salt to the food processor/blender and pulse a few times.
- Add the milks and blend until everything comes together and is a thick, smooth dough consistency.
- Transfer the dough to a medium sized bowl and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough into the prepared pan. Press out the dough using your hands or a rubber spatula to the edges of the pan. Place the dough in the freezer for about an hour. (It doesn't need to be rock solid. You just want it to firm up a bit in order to make it easier to cut.)
- If you're going with the ganache topping option (which I recommend 😉 ), prepare the ganache according to the instructions. Then, remove the cookie dough from the freezer and spread on the ganache.
- If you're going with the melted chocolate option, remove the cookie dough from the freezer for 10-15 min. Then, melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals until completely melted. You want to make sure to wait a bit after taking the dough out from the freezer because if you try to spread melted chocolate on something cold it will harden quickly and make it difficult to spread.
- Place the coated cookie dough in the fridge for about 10 min. to allow the topping to set.
- Remove the dough from the pan and slice into squares.
- Nom nom nom!
*This is the coconut milk in a can, not the carton. You can use light or regular coconut milk, but don't substitute this out for another kind of milk because it helps with the dough's creaminess and dough-like.
Some products I used for this recipe:
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $21.59Was: $38.00
Price: Out of stock
Price: Check on Amazon
Price: Check on Amazon
You might also like: