I am not ashamed to say that I have a sweet tooth to put all other sweet tooths (teeths?) to shame. But, sometimes you want something a little less sweet and a little more citrus-y. And these healthy lemon raspberry scones are just that.
I actually rarely eat scones. They weren’t a staple treat in my house growing up. And, my dessert of choice always tends to lean more towards sweet cookie, cake-y type flavors. But, the flavors in these scones might change my mind! They have the perfect amount of lemon with a hint of raspberry. Nothing too sour and or overpowering. These scones are also not too sweet. Sometimes, it seems lemon treats can be overly sweet since the sugar has to combat the sourness of the lemon. Nope, not here!
And the TEXTURE! Perfection. It’s like this delicious, soft pastry is being cocooned inside a crispy outer shell. If that’s how you like your baked goods – with a crispy edge and chewy center – these scones are for you!
But, I’m not going to lie. The dough is a little sticky and can be sort of tricky to work with. However, it’s not impossible, so don’t give up on me just yet. Once all the ingredients are mixed together, I highly recommend turning the dough out onto some parchment paper. And, not the same piece that is going to line your baking tray. It will make it sooooo much easier to move the pieces around after you cut them if you have a different sheet to transfer them to.
So, you’re going to form your dough into a circle, about 1/2″ thick. Then, make 4 straight cuts across the circle to create 8 triangles. Now for the hard part: transferring the triangle shaped dough onto the lined baking sheet AND keeping the triangle shape. I tried a couple different methods, and the way that worked best was to use a spatula to pick up the dough and then slide it onto the baking tray. It will loose some of it’s shape, but once you get it on the tray, just reshape it with your fingers.
This dough may not be as forgiving as the one for these vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls, which is like a fluffy fool-proof cloud, but once they’re baked no one will be able to tell the dough had to be man-handled. 😉
Feel free to drizzle your favorite glaze on top, or just eat them plain! These healthy lemon raspberry scones definitely don’t need any gussying up to be delicious.
What are your favorite fruit flavor combos?
Yields 8 scones
Gluten Free; Vegan; Low Fat; Low Sugar
20 minPrep Time
13 minCook Time
33 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup milk of choice
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon (~2 tsp)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon (~1 Tbsp)
- 1/4 cup raspberries, diced
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sweetener, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the milk, oil, lemon zest, and juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together to combine.
- Fold in the chopped raspberries.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 min.- 1 hour.
- Remove the cold dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn the cold dough out onto a separate piece of parchment paper. Form the dough into a circle that's about 1/2" thick.
- Slice the dough into 8 triangles. Transfer the cut pieces onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 min. or until the top is hard, but the dough feels soft if pressed down on. A toothpick inserted into the dough should come out clean.
- Enjoy warm or let them cool and enjoy later! (Or do both.... 😉 )
You might also like: